Software Engineer I/II
Job posting number: #7075611 (Ref:JAX28392)
Posted: March 3, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Jackson Laboratory (http://www.jax.org) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution internationally recognized for its research excellence and world-class faculty, who perform leading-edge research in the fields of human genomics and mouse genetics. At JAX, our Information Technology is as exciting and progressive as our cutting-edge science. Join our Research IT team to help plan, design, and launch efficient systems in support of scientific research.
The Information and Research Technologies group is seeking a Software Engineer with solid experience in designing, implementing, and supporting production-quality software systems meeting the diverse needs of a multi-functional organization. The Software Engineer will work as part of a value-stream aligned Agile team to design, develop, evaluate and support software solutions to meet the rapidly growing, increasingly complex data processing needs of the Jackson Laboratory scientific research community. A background and/or experience in life or physical sciences is highly desired.
- Collaborate with team members to understand scientific research data processing needs and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Develop and configure software solutions to address identified opportunities.
- Implement proper security and governance controls.
- Provide leadership and input into our evolving software development practices.
Distinguishing factors for level I-II are as follows:
Level I: Entry level Professional that applies broad theoretical job knowledge typically obtained through advanced education. Work is closely supervised and problems faced are not typically difficult or complex. Explains facts, policies and practices related to job area.
Level II: An Experienced Professional that applies practical knowledge of the Software Engineering disciplines typically obtained through advanced education and work experience. Works independently with general supervision, problems faced are difficult but typically not complex. May influence others within the job area through explanation of facts, policies and practices.
Level I requires:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 0 – 3 years of experience and works under direct supervision and guidance
- Demonstrated understanding of 2 or more of the following techniques utilized in Agile software development: paired and mob programming, automated unit and functional testing, manual testing, user-centered design, test and/or behavior driven development, and continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Demonstrated understanding of 2 or more of the following leadership skills such as collaboration, product management, domain knowledge in a relevant stakeholder area, facilitation, influence, conflict resolution, and mentorship.
- Self-motivated with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to conduct research into software issues and products as required.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Proven strong customer experience skills
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
Level II includes all that is required of Level I and the following:
- Requires 3 – 5 years of experience with Software Development and/or Application Configuration, preferably in an Agile environment.
- Familiar with 3 or more of the following techniques utilized in Agile software development: paired and mob programming, automated unit and functional testing, manual testing, user-centered design, test and/or behavior driven development, and continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Familiar with 3 or more of the following leadership skills such as collaboration, product management, domain knowledge in a relevant stakeholder area, facilitation, influence, conflict resolution, and mentorship.
- Proven flexibility and multi-tasking ability
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality work with limited direct supervision
Desired skills include:
- Demonstrated proficiency in a modern object-oriented programming language.
- Familiarity with common data structures and algorithms.
- Web programming experience and basic understanding of network protocols.
- Ability to configure and use compute resources in the cloud is a plus.
- Experience identifying customer needs, communicating technical issues to non-technical audiences, and providing general customer application support.
- A background and/or experience in life or physical sciences
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
JAX Genomic Medicine is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX Genomic Medicine’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person's unique genetic makeup.
JAX Genomic Medicine sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians, and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories.
In Connecticut, JAX resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX Genomic Medicine is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems, including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program and an onsite full service cafeteria.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.